What if my MAILBOX is damaged by a plow truck?

The Department of Pubic Works Supervisors are usually aware of any mailboxes that were hit due to plowing. The resident can call DPW at 908-369-3950 to report the damage and will need to provide us with the following information.

BOX____________ POST__________ BOX & POST:____________

A DPW Supervisor will inspect the damage to the mailbox and determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced. A temporary box will be placed a the address immediately and replacement mailboxes will be installed in the Spring when the ground has thawed. Replacement mailboxes consist of a standard bullet style mailbox (black or white) and a standard wooden post.

Residents also have the option of obtaining a police report and submitting the report of the damaged mailbox to their homeowners insurance (this is usually the case if someone has a very expensive/decorative mailbox).

Lastly, the Resident also has the option of obtaining a ONE TIME yearly check from Hillsborough Township of $40.00 as compensation for the broken mailbox.

***IMPORTANT*** If it is determined that the mailbox is broken because of lack of maintenance.  e.g. loosely installed in ground, rotted posts etc. the replacement request may be denied by the township.

Shop Hillsborough