Chief Michael McMahon would like to remind residents of safety precautions for those participating in various Halloween festivities, in addition to offering suggestions to parents of young children who “Trick of Treat” from door to door at this time of year. The following precautions are intended for a safe and happy time for all Township residents.
- Wear light colored clothing that’s short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape to the sides, front and back of the costume
- Make sure children can see well through face masks or cosmetics
- Adults should accompany young children
- Go out in daylight and carry a flashlight after nightfall
- Stay within family neighborhoods and/or visit homes that you know
- Watch for traffic
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy
- Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it
- Keep control of pets as they may react unexpectedly to children in costumes
Additionally, please remember also to adhere to Township Halloween Curfew regulations for October 28th to November 1st, between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am, in which no person under the age of 18 years shall be permitted on any public place, public street or public property in the Township of Hillsborough unless such person is in attendance at a program or function sponsored by the municipality, a church or school. This section shall not apply to persons under the age of 18 years while they are returning home from a place of employment, school, fraternal or religious meeting or going to and from a doctor’s or dentist’s office, where treatment has been rendered, or is to be rendered, or to persons under the age of 18 years who are accompanied by a parent or guardian over the age of 21 years.
Simple precautions can go a long way in making this Halloween a safe one.