The Engineering Department’s primary mission is to provide professional/qualified review, permitting and inspection of public and private civil engineering projects ensuring consistency with the Township Codes, Ordinances as well as applicable regulations, policies, etc. The mission keeps down costs to the residents by providing infrastructure that will last for years. The primary objective of the Department is to serve the residents of the Township in day to day en gineering operations and technical support.
The Engineering Department both assists and protects the public by means of guidance and inspection to see that Township standards for site work are adhered to, thus ensuring the health, safety and welfare of the general public. The Department will intercede on behalf of the citizens when drainage, roadway or general site work conditions become a matter of public concern and routinely inspects all construction projects in the Township.
The goal of the Engineering review and inspection is to ensure that drainage problems are not created for the homeowner or his neighbors. Generally, projects which disturb more than 5,000 sq. ft., add more than 50% to an existing structure, or projects which have significant regrading, such as driveways which are being curbed, will require professionally engineered plans. Please contact the Engineering Department for review requirements in detail.
Assistant Township Engineer: Tom Belanger (908) 369-4460
CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!!!
Call NJ’s One Call Bureau 3 Days before you dig:
811 or 1-800-272-1000.
They are open 7 days a week/24 hours a day/365 days a year!
It’s the law!
Click here for the Hillsborough Township Permit Procurement Timeline
What do the colors mean that are seen on your property?
RED – Electric
YELLOW – Gas, Oil, Steam
ORANGE – Communications, CATV
BLUE – Water
GREEN – Sewer
- Engineering requirements for new construction, additions, pools, barns, garages, sheds, driveways, etc.
- New Jersey Stormwater Information
- Letters of Flood Insurance Rate Map Revisions issued by Federal Emergency Management Agency Dated November 4, 2016
- Hillsborough Township Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
- Hillsborough Township Stormwater Management Plan
- Hillsborough Township Stormwater Ordinance Article 1
- Hillsborough Township Stormwater Ordinance Article 2