Hillsborough Police Chief Darren Powell reminds residents of his concern for the safety of all those who participate in Halloween festivities.
No persons under the age of 18 shall be permitted on any public place, public street, or public property in the Township of Hillsborough between the hours of 10pm – 6am, from October 30th thru November 1st, unless that person is in attendance at a program or function sponsored by the municipality, church, school or at a doctor’s appointment or is accompanied by an adult over 21 years of age.
Chief Powell would like to offer suggestions to parents of young children who “trick or treat” from door to door at this time. The following precautions will hopefully lead to a safe and happy time for all our Township residents:
- Wear light-colored clothing that’s short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape to the sides, front and back of the costume.
- Make sure children can see well through face masks.
- Adults should accompany young children.
- Go out in daylight and carry a flashlight if out during darkness.
- Stay within the neighborhood and only visit homes you know.
- Watch for traffic.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
- Keep costumed children away from pets’ because the pets may react unexpectedly.
- Carry a cell phone to report emergencies.
- Please do not text while walking.
- Motorists are urged to drive with caution during times of trick or treating.